Friday, June 26, 2009

What do I wanna do when I get big?

I got a call today from someone i have known for over 25 years who is embarking on a first career that she has been working toward for some time now. Her next step will require some major investment on her part and she is stopping to think. “Is this what I really want to do in life?” There is nothing like making a financial investment into something, to really commit you, or sometimes, to separate the men from the boys, if you know what I mean.

But what if you didn’t have to make a financial commitment and you just stepped into a direction that you thought; at some point in your past, was a good idea? And before you know it, you are so far down the road, that there is no turning back? That’s hard.

Well my friend is facing the really hard truth…that she hates what she’s doing, in fact its making her anxious to the point of despair. This is actually a good thing. Her inner voice is screaming…”Don’t do it!” I consider her lucky, as she is not going to make that mistake – she will quite simply…change course.

In contrast to this, last week I spoke to a fellow who is a senior accountant and he hates his job. He is bored and totally disengaged, but he’s in his mid 40s and says…”Sarah, there’s no going back, im on this path and im stuck here”. In fact, I can’t even change companies, ive been here too long”. How does one dig oneself out from such a hole?

Everyday I see lots of people somewhere along this spectrum of career rot, some with just a touch of it and others, well, lets just say, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. At least that’s how THEY see it.

I for one don’t buy into this for a minute. No matter your level of ‘career rot’, you can undo this. Yes you can! I’m not saying it’s easy, but quite frankly, life is too short not to love your career. In fact, for many of us, our career is a way of life. Life and career merge into one and is part of our identity, part of who we are. So how do you create something from nothing? How do you find your true path? You have to reinvent yourself…and people do it all the time. Young or old – it happens and it works. I see it often and it’s a sight to behold.

I have a plan, a program that is so effective, I am launching a business in the US called “IC Executives” based in Manhattan at 5 Penn Plaza. It is so effective that senior executives in the Scalene triangle are coming on board and following this program.

So if they can do it and believe it’s possible, so can local senior accountants and new insurance agents and all kinds of other people.

There’s lots more to come on career coaching! – stay tuned!

Ok im off to the cottage for the weekend – see you early next week. 

SS

No comments:

Post a Comment